Although it’s over 5 miles from the nearest town and nestled between Swyre Hill and the sea, Smedmore House is easy to find.
- Smedmore is roughly two to two and a half hours by car from London, down the M3 and M27 & A31 to Wimborne and Wareham. From Wareham take the A351 direction Swanage. About a mile out of Wareham, turn right for Kimmeridge. Follow the signs to Kimmeridge and just before you drop down into the village, turn left up up the private drive to Smedmore House.
- IMPORTANT: Do not trust sat-nav for the final minutes of your journey, as the private drive is often not shown. Also do not rely on Google maps or the AA.com as they will take you through Kingston and Encombe along a bridleway which is not accessible to vehicles.
- There are trains direct from Waterloo, London, to Wareham twice an hour every day. The trip takes around 2½ hours with South West Trains.
- The nearest local airports are Bournemouth International Airport or Southampton Airport. At Southampton passengers can walk directly to the attached railway station, from which the journey to Wareham takes 70 minutes.
- Rural Dorset has good taxi cover. Jurassic cabs (01929 558119) wait to collect passengers at Wareham Train Station and will collect from Smedmore House as do Phil’s Cabs (07824 492463) and the local firm in the village, K Bay taxis (01929 480669). Taxis can also be booked for airport collections / departures from London Heathrow and Gatwick.