Terms and Conditions for the Hire of Smedmore House for Weddings & Events
• All cancellations by the hirer must be in writing and the booking deposit will be forfeited.
• In the unfortunate circumstances of a cancellation, Smedmore will use reasonable endeavours to “re-sell” the date to another couple. However, cancellation charges will be made with reference to the table below.
Time before Wedding/Event date Cancellation charge
More than 6 months Deposit Amount (ie non-refundable in all cases)
Between 3 and 6 months Up to 50% of total venue price
Less than 3 months Up to 75% of total venue price
Less than 1 month Up to 90% of total venue price
• Smedmore shall not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under our contract with you that is caused by events outside our reasonable control (such as serious damage to the venue, serious adverse weather conditions, a pandemic or epidemic, or interruption or failure of utility services such as electric power, gas or water). In these circumstances, we shall use every effort to notify you as soon as is reasonably practical. If, as a result of such events, we believe we have no alternative but to cancel your booking, we shall use reasonable endeavours to help you find an alternative venue of a similar standard for a similar price but our sole liability to you shall be to refund you any money you have paid towards your wedding package.
• Deliveries, set-up and strike must take place during the 2 days before and after the event allowed in the agreement. The hirer must not presume there is access either side of this period. If such access is needed, it may in exceptional circumstances be permitted but may be charged for.
• The Hirer is responsible for informing Smedmore House of all sub-contractors involved no later than 2 weeks before the event.
• The Hirer or his agents must seek the permission of Manager of Smedmore House before the positioning of any marquees or gazebos, toilet facilities or similar.
• Smedmore House accepts no responsibility for any agents contracted by the hirer or for any property belonging to the hirer, his guests or agents at any time or for any wedding gifts or personal possessions brought to the venue.
• Nor shall Smedmore House be responsible for any loss or damage to any property arising out of the hiring nor for the loss, damage or injury which may be incurred by or be done or happen to any person or persons using Smedmore during the event arising from any cause whatsoever, or for any loss due to the breakdown of machinery failure, supply of electricity, leakage of water, fire, Government restriction, or Act of God which may cause Smedmore to be temporarily closed or the hiring to be interrupted or cancelled.
• Smedmore House strongly recommends the hirer takes out event insurance, to cover the hirer in the event of cancellation due to circumstances beyond their control.
• Details of third party suppliers are provided to help arrange services to be provided in connection with the wedding or event. If these or any other third party suppliers are engaged, Smedmore accepts no responsibility for their performance of services and any complaints should be taken up with them directly. The hirer is also responsible for paying their charges directly. Smedmore reserves the right not to allow into the venue any third party suppliers who do not meet the requirements intended to ensure the safety and welfare of property and people at the venue.
• The Hirer shall be responsible for good order being kept at Smedmore during the Event and will be liable for any damage caused to the venue, its contents or its fittings.
• Smedmore House reserves the right to ask any persons not keeping good order or who are in their opinion under the influence of excessive alcohol consumption to leave.
• The hirer or a responsible person appointed by the hirer must remain at Smedmore until the last non-resident guest has departed.
• The hirer shall comply with the required noise levels in respect of loud music and public address systems and all loud music must cease at 12:00 midnight. All entertainment booked for the event, with emphasis on Bands and DJs, must be in possession of a Public Liability insurance document and their equipment used must be Portable Appliance Tested (PAT.) Smedmore House reserves the right to request a copy of this documentation at any time and will refuse permission to sub-contractors without it.
• The hirer shall be responsible for the overall management of the event and should leave the site in a clean and orderly state with all rubbish, flowers, decorations and bottles removed.
• No bonfires, fireworks or barbecues will be permitted without prior consent in writing.
• No confetti, rice or glitter, helium balloons, or Chinese lanterns are permitted. Rose petals or bubbles are allowed.
• Guests should book taxis in advance to collect them at the end of the evening. There is limited mobile phone reception at Smedmore and taxi companies can often be unavailable at the last minute.
• If guests include 10 or more children under the age of 10, Smedmore strongly recommends that a crèche facility is operational for the whole period the children are present.
• All cars are parked at the owner’s risk.